My evening getting ready for bed routine is something I really enjoy however never really pay that much focused attention to actually doing it.
Moisturising mindfully is a great way to settle me ready for sleep whilst incorporating mindfulness into my routine.
The 10 Steps to Moisturising Mindfully :
- Pick up the pot/jar/tube- notice its weight, material and temperature in your hand.
- Carefully open the lid, noticing the the action of your wrist and any sounds
- Study your moisturiser in the pot (if in a pot), the peaks it forms, the way the light hits it and the colours.
- Pop some moisturiser on your finger, feel it’s coolness and weight.
- Rub between between your thumb and forefinger finger for texture and any tackiness.
- Lift up the moisturiser to your nose, with each in-breath notice any fragrance that may be there. What effect does the aroma have – is it energising or calming?
- If at any point you think “this is silly, why am I doing this?” recognise this as a random thought and return to where you left off with your moisturiser. Let go of any self- judgement, questioning or criticism.
- Dot the moisturiser on your face, enjoy the coolness and feel on your cheeks, chin forehead and nose.
- Gently massage and savour the experience. Notice the movement of your fingertips and how your facial muscles relax.
- When fully applied notice how your skin feels- is it more sensitive to temperature, does it feel wet/ smooth/fresh etc ?
Have a field day and play around with the above steps however you like. Take as long or as short a time as you like.
Tip: Try this with various moisturisers e.g. day vs night moisturisers- you really start to notice and appreciate the differences between them.
I hope you enjoy – I always love to hear how you get on. Have you tried applying the above to any other mindful habits?